Suffolk County Water Authority

New Construction

My SCWA Account

Self-Service Portal

Manage your account, view and pay your bills, and configure your notifications and alerts all in one place.

Sign In

Join our Electronic Distribution List

Sign up to receive news from SCWA about public meetings, requests, and much more!


Connect with Us

Find us on:


New Construction


What steps must I take to get water to my project?

Generally, most new construction projects occur on undeveloped parcels of land in which roadways are constructed. This, therefore, requires the installation of new water main, fire hydrants, and service lines. It also may necessitate the installation of backflow prevention devices (RPZ) for compliance with Suffolk County Health Department regulations.

Sometimes, the project may be located on a public road where the Authority has existing water supply which will provide adequate supply for the new construction. In this case, water service will consist of the domestic service line, backflow protection, and possibly fire sprinkler service.

For water main extensions, the developer/builder must enter into a contract with the Authority to have the main, fire hydrants, and other appurtenances installed. Detailed site plans, easement information, fire hydrant locations, and service line locations must be supplied to the New Service Department for review. The Authority's New Service Department is the contact point and information source for the installation process. It is important, therefore, to contact the New Service Department in your project area early in the design stage of your project.

[return to index]

Who can I talk to?

The New Service Department is the source for all the new construction information and transaction processing. When contacting the Authority, ask for the New Service Department. A New Service representative will guide you through the application and new construction process. For water main extensions, one of our new service managers will oversee your project. The New Service Department is located at:

New Construction Service
4060 Sunrise Hwy
Oakdale, NY 11769
(631) 218-1148

[return to index]

What paperwork do I need to provide and complete?

A site plan is required, which includes tax map numbers and tie-ins to the nearest existing cross streets. For developments and large commercial buildings, five (5) initial site plans are needed. In addition, easement descriptions for all roadways, flow demand, drainage plans, and backflow design plans are required. For water main extensions, a contract and hydrant agreement must be executed. Contract packages, which include easement information, hydrant locations, and other requirements, must be returned complete with the execution of the contract. Incomplete packages will not be accepted.

[return to index]

How much will it cost?

The following is a schedule of new construction fees:

Water Main Installation

Public roadway water main installation.....$169/ft.*

Unimproved roadway main installations....$88/ft*

New Construction and Commercial properties are based on.Actual Cost

Maintenance Agreement fee (Optional)....$18.49 /ft.

* Effective during the current construction season (January-December 2016)

Tapping Fees**

Installation of meter vault on an existing 1" service cost is $1,050

1" water service.....................................$3,000

1 1/2" ..................................................$5,200







Services over 4" and over require DT201 meter vault which is installed at your expense

*Additional fees are required for full flow meters 4" or larger.

**May be subject to additional costs if directional bore required or restoration fees..

Inspection fee........................................No charge (first inspection)

Service line reinspection.........................$25 each

** State & county roads may be subject to additional directional boring costs or restoration fees.

Fire Hydrants 

Fire hydrant annual rental........................$160.20 per hydrant

Special Service Area Fees

Delimited areas......................................Established area rate

Surcharges............................................Established contract rate


[return to index]

What are the stages of the water main installation process?

  • Provide the New Service Department with your site plans and discuss your project with a new service manager

  • Obtain a cost estimate

  • Provide fire hydrant location information and fire district approval

  • Request a contract

  • Execute contract

  • Provide easement information

  • Prepare your site -- install all curbs, drainage, mark service line and hydrant locations, grade all roadways (Appendix 1)

  • Fax Site Preparation Form to our Construction Department (Appendix 2)

  • Remit tapping/service line fees

  • Pipe line inspector will inspect your site for readiness

  • Water main installation is scheduled after site readiness has been verified

  • Water main installation

  • Chlorination of water main

  • Bacteriological sample sent to our laboratory

  • Sample passes, main is plugged and put "in service"

  • Service orders are released to our Construction Department

  • Taps and service lines are installed from the water main to the property line

[return to index]

How long does the process take?

Generally, from the time the contract is executed it takes 90 to 120 days to complete the installation process. Delays will occur if the proper paperwork has not been provided to the New Service Department and/or the job site has not been prepared properly. (e.g. fire hydrant location approval, easement clearance, etc.)

[return to index]

What jobsite preparation is required?

To ensure proper installation, the job site must be prepared before our inspector visits the site. All roadways must be on grade with grade stakes installed as appropriate. All service line and hydrant locations must be marked by painting the location on the curb and staking the property line. Drainage and curbing must be installed before we can begin.

The Jobsite Preparation Form, which is included in the contract packet, MUST be faxed to our Construction Department as soon as the site has been prepared. Our site inspector will inspect your project only after the form has been received. (Appendix 1 & Appendix 2).

[return to index]

What special requirements are necessary for commercial buildings?

Commercial buildings often require additional service. This may include fire sprinkler service, master metering, and backflow prevention devices (e.g. reduced pressure zone device, RPZ). It is important to discuss your specific needs with our New Service Department. Our representative will guide you through the process along with assistance from a new service manager as needed.

[return to index]

When do I need easements?

Easements are required whenever our water main is to be installed on private property. Generally, the water main is installed only within the public right-of-ways; however, there are instances where private property installations are necessary.

Easements are required for all new subdivision roadways that have not been dedicated to the town. The developer must submit four (4) site maps, along with the easement metes and bounds description, and two (2) copies of your Deed and Mortgage F114 to our New Service Department which will be forwarded to our easement attorney for processing.

In the case of subdivisions requiring easements, the Authority can provide a supplemental agreement to the water main contract. Under the terms of the supplemental agreement, we will begin easement work and construction drawings in consideration of 10% of the contract price (minimum deposit $2,500) against the total contract amount. Once easements are cleared, we will notify you that the remainder of the contract amount is due and that the Authority is ready to proceed with the installation, subject to site preparation.

[return to index]

What is necessary for fire hydrant installation?

In general, the local fire district's board of fire commissioners must approve all hydrant locations. An approval letter must be signed by the fire commissioner and returned to the New Service Department,, along with a map indicating the approved hydrant locations. The project will not proceed until hydrant locations are approved by the local fire commissioner.

After the hydrant locations have been approved, the developer must enter into a hydrant rental agreement with the Authority to cover the rental cost of hydrants installed on private roadways. For roadways which will be dedicated to the town, the term of this agreement is six (6) years, or until the hydrant rental is assumed by a public fire protection agency, during which time title to the roadway(s) will be transferred to the town.

Fire protection agreements are also required for private hydrants that are not metered. One of our customer service managers will assist you in this procedure.

[return to index]

What if I only need a service line(s)?

Before a service line can be installed, it must be verified by a site plan/survey that a water main of adequate size currently exists on the roadway adjacent to the site. For large commercial projects, a flow demand letter, indicating daily and peak flows in gallons per minute (G.P.M.) for domestic and fire flow, must be submitted to the New Service Department to ensure proper service sizing and adequate supply. Additional costs are required for full flow meters.

Once the above has been completed, application for service can be made by completing an application card and submitting the appropriate fee(s). (See above.)

[return to index]

What are the installation requirements for house service lines?

All house service lines must be installed according to the Authority's Rules & Regulations. Each installation MUST be inspected by our representative before being backfilled. Only licensed plumbers can install house service lines. (See (Appendix 3) for installation and inspection details.)

[return to index]

Do I need a backflow prevention device?

On all new residential homes, the Authority installs a dual check valve on the outlet side of the meter. This provides protection for most residential situations.

Backflow prevention is required for all commercial domestic services as well as all firelines.

Contact our Cross Connection Control Department early on to determine if you will need to install a backflow prevention device.

Click to download our RPZ Booklet

More info on Backflow Devices

[return to index]

Can SCWA install and maintain water main on my project's site even though the roadways remain private?

Yes! By entering into a water main maintenance agreement, the Authority will install and maintain the water main and fire hydrants on your site. A one-time advance maintenance fee is required. This arrangement is often advantageous when the water main is installed within a commercial complex such as a condominium complex, office park, or school. For more details contact the New Service Department.

Appendix 1


The following general information has been prepared to assist builders in order to properly comply with certain requirements of the Authority preparatory to the installation of water mains under construction contracts as well as fire hydrants.


Construction plans are released to this department for installation only after the local new service managers notify us that all easements have been cleared and monies have been received. Any inquiries regarding these items should be made to the new service manager.


Inspection will not be done until "Site Preparation Form" see (Appendix 2) has been completed and faxed to the Construction Maintenance Department by the builder. If the inspection fails there is an $80.00 reinspection fee which must be paid to the New Service Department prior to reinspection.

(a) All required curbs, drainage, and sewers must be completed before the Authority will start construction. Water mains are normally installed in the streets, under pavement, above five (5) feet from the curb. Uniform location and proper depth are essential.

(b) The streets must be graded for a full width of each street as close as possible to finished grade or to subgrade, whichever the builder prefers, as long as the grade is uniform throughout the entire job. The surface must be adequately stabilized to permit delivery of materials and passage of construction equipment.

(c) Where curbs are not required, grade stakes must be set, preferably along the property line on the side that the water main is to be installed (usually north and west sides). Preparations should also be completed as outlined in paragraphs (a) and (b) above.

The number of stakes set should be as follows:
(1) On straight line runs -- 75 feet to 100 feet apart;
(2) On long radius or sweeping curves -- 50 feet apart;
(3) On sharp curves (cul-de-sac and corners) -- 25 feet apart.

"Approximate" locations for line stakes are not acceptable. Marker lath should clearly indicate what the stake represents, such as property line (P.L.), point on curve (P.O.C.), point of intersection (P.I.), etc.. It would be advisable to furnish us with a "cut sheet" (either list or sketch) as made out by your surveyor; if the lath markers are missing, we may still be able to locate the "hub" stakes.

(d) The builder should notify us when the necessary preparations as outlined above have been completed. We shall then have our "line-up" crew check out the job, stake out valve locations, fire hydrant locations, and make any adjustments due to field conditions. ORDERS FOR CONSTRUCTION WILL BE RELEASED TO OUR CONTRACTORS ONLY AFTER THE PIPELINE INSPECTOR HAS APPROVED THE JOB SITE PREPARATION.

(e) The installation schedule depends largely on the amount of backlog work, weather, etc. We endeavor to maintain a "first ready-first served" policy. Every effort will be made to complete construction as soon as possible after the job is released to our contractor.

(f) If stub service is desired, the builder must stake out for the location of a stub.


(a) Most towns require that fire hydrants be ordered and installed before paving work is completed. Some towns will not issue a Certificate of Occupancy unless fire hydrants have been installed. F.H.A. requirements must also be considered. Since the method of ordering fire hydrants varies with respective towns, villages and fire districts, it is beyond the scope of this bulletin to discuss the matter in detail. Fire hydrants can be installed only after we receive a specific written order from the responsible authorities. THE BUILDER SHOULD INITIATE HIS OR HER REQUEST FOR FIRE HYDRANTS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, PREFERABLY AT THE TIME OF PRELIMINARY CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS WITH THE AUTHORITY. The Water Authority's new service manager can advise the builder regarding location requirements and fire districts to be contacted.

(b) Scheduling water main installations WILL NOT be considered until the builder has completed negotiations, as necessary, for fire hydrant installation.

(c) Fire hydrants will be installed at the same time as the main construction is proceeding.

(d) Occasionally, the builder may be requested to set certain property corner stakes so that hydrants may be properly located as ordered.


In developments where the builder has contracted with the Long Island Power Authority and the telephone company to have these facilities installed underground in a common trench, it is necessary that the Water Authority's work on main installation and house services be completed before LIPA starts work. Any delays in the proper site preparations or completion of the builder's work will delay ALL utility installations.


(a) Design requirements, with certain exceptions, by the Department of Environmental Control (DEC) require a minimum depth of six (6) feet at the curb line for house connections. With a house connection slope of 2%, there should not be conflict between the water and sewer installation providing proper care is taken in the construction of each facility. The DEC requires that curbs be marked at the point where the house laterals cross under the curb.

(b) Where sanitary sewers are broken during water main installation, the Authority is required to notify the Department of Environmental Control directly since many of these installations will be dry sewers and not used for many years.

(c) Particularly where the sewers are properly marked, the Authority, through its field inspectors, will insist that its construction contractors exercise the greatest care not to accidentally break any sewer lines where grade conflicts may exist. We will raise or lower the water mains during construction to leave sewer line undisturbed.

(d) Where a sewer is broken accidentally, the Authority's contractor will leave the excavation open with the broken sewer line exposed so that repairs can be made by the builder after he is notified by Authority representatives. Neither the Authority nor its contractor will make any repairs on broken sewer lines. It will be the responsibility of the builder to do so.

(e) THE AUTHORITY AND ITS CONTRACTORS WILL NOT ASSUME ANY FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE REPAIR OF ANY DAMAGED SEWER FACILITIES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. In order to minimize the possibility of damages, the builder, or his representative, who is familiar with the sewer installation, should be present at the time of pipeline construction.

Your cooperation, by giving careful attention to and complying with the above requirements and suggestions, will enable us to serve you more efficiently and adequately. Any questions regarding job site preparation or pipe and hydrant installation schedules may be made to the Distribution Construction Department at Oakdale, New York, Mr. Tim Kilcommons, Superintendent, phone:563-0253.

[return to index]

Appendix 2


(FAX #631-589-5273)

FROM:(Name & Title)


Name of Development: ________________________________

Location: ___________________________________________

Authorization # _______________________________________

Date: _______________________________________________

Fax #:Phone#: ________________________________________


[ ] Curbs Installed

[ ] Drainage Installed

[ ] Grading & Clearing Completed

[ ] Hydrant Locations Staked Out

[ ] Property Lines Staked Out

[ ] Easements Cleared (*)

[ ] All Payments Made

[ ] House Stubs Marked Out on Curbs in Blue

Please inspect the above development and install the water mains as soon as possible. I understand that if we do not pass inspection, no further inspection will be made until the noted discrepancies are corrected and we pay the $80.00 reinspection fee at the New Service Department. (*) YOU CAN EXPEDITE THIS PROJECT BY SUBMITTING A CASH DEPOSIT TO THE NEW SERVICE DEPARTMENT IF EASEMENTS HAVE NOT CLEARED. THIS DEPOSIT WILL BE RETURNED WHEN EASEMENTS CLEAR.

[return to index]

Appendix 3


Installation of Services -- Subdivisions

Install piping 4 1/2' deep from the house to the existing stub vault (tie in at Authority's copper tail)

Installation of Services -- Existing Street & Water Main

  1. Install piping on the property, 4 1/2 feet deep from the building to the property line. A minimum 1" service line is required.

  2. Leave a 1' riser above the ground level at the property line with the end crimped.

  3. Service line measurements form must be completed and submitted at time of inspection. Measurements are taken from two (2) nearest corners of the building to the end of your pipe at the property line. Service line measurement forms are available at the New Service Department.

  4. The end of the pipe at the property line should be 10 feet away from any obstruction such as trees, telephone poles, catch basins, or driveways and should be at a location approximately opposite the point of entry into the building.

  5. A valve must be installed where the pipe first enters the building.

  6. All other underground utilities must maintain a 10 foot clearance from water service.

Installation of Services -- Existing Street Stubs

  1. Install pipe 4 1/2 feet deep from the house to the existing stub vault (tie in at Authority's copper tail.)

  2. A valve must be installed where the pipe first enters the building.


  1. Type "K" soft copper tubing, minimum size 1" inside diameter.

  2. Customer's valve:
    A valve must be installed where the pipe first enters the building.

  3. Plastic Pipe Specifications:

    1. Pipe manufactured and designed for use in potable water systems can be installed from the building to within 15' from the property line. The last 15' to the property line MUST be "K" soft copper tubing.
    2. Pipe should be classified to withstand working pressure of 200 p.s.i. (with bursting pressure rated at least twice the working pressure)
    3. Piping requiring joints in which a chemical solvent is utilized is NOT acceptable. (Brass couplings are required.)
    4. Fifteen (15') feet of copper is required from inside the building to the start of the plastic pipe.


Service Line Inspection Procedures

  1. Call the New Service Department to request an inspection when your work is completed. (Must call two weeks prior for residential inspection.)

  2. Someone MUST be present on the day of inspection.

  3. If reinspection is necessary, a $25.00 fee must be paid PRIOR to the reinspection.

  4. Leave the TRENCH OPEN. DO NOT backfill the trench until our inspector has approved the service line, unless you are on the approved site tube list.

  5. If the service line inspection PASSES, the end of the pipe by the curb will be painted blue. If service inspection FAILS, the end of the service will be painted red and a reinspection fee of $25.00 will be billed.

  6. No other utilities (e.g. gas, electric, cable TV, etc.) shall be buried in the water service trench.

Meter Sets

After all of the above has been completed, call the New Service Department to have the meter set. We must have the house number before the meter can be set.

Tap Letters

Tap letters can be requested after all fees have been paid, water service has been established and the meter has been set.

NOTICE: If installing separate hot water heaters, separate expansion tanks should be installed.
Switching service to homeowner -- the builder can bring in a signed application card signed by the buyer, but it must be filled out completely including Social Security number, driver license ID number, current mailing address, and contact phone number. It is recommended that the builder establish the account and call for a disconnection of service, allowing the buyer one week to establish service in his/her name.

[return to index]