The Employee (Talent) Relations and Engagement Specialist will handle all aspects related to employee relations
including handling employee complaints and conflict resolution, all SCWA employment policies, and progressive
discipline. Responsible for employee career development at the Education Center. Work as part of the team
reporting to the Talent Acquisition & Development Manager to assess and improve overall employee engagement.
Position requires travel between all Authority locations as necessary.
Essential (Primary) Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide advice and counsel to managers and supervisors regarding personnel practices, policies, and employment laws.
- Conducts employee development career conversations, develops career maps and advise employees of education, training, job shadowing that might be necessary to progress in career path.
- Support the development of succession planning throughout the Authority by partnering with Talent Acquisition and Development Manager.
- Conduct on-site internal investigations in response to employee complaints and resolve conflict. In consultation with manager, recommend actions to be taken to senior management.
- Administers and manages Employee Assistance Program including mandated employee referrals.
- Administer annual employee engagement survey and draft reports summarizing and measure results from year to year.
- Administer and monitor the performance management evaluation process which includes reviewing evaluations and addressing performance issues as related to the evaluation with the manager and/or employee.
- Develop and manage a mentoring program to retain employees.
- Conduct stay interviews.
- Prepare and distribute written and verbal information to inform managers and employees of SCWA policies and procedures.
- Support the development of a comprehensive training strategy to support Authority goals.
- Strong understanding of employment law, common HR practices and state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices for effective employee relations.
- Ability to write effective reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals and presentations.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- 5 years of Employee Relations experience with an emphasis on employee training, 7 years preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree with significant study in HR, Business Management, Social Sciences, Labor Relations, Psychology, or related field, Master’s Degree preferred.
- SHRM-CP/SCP certification highly preferred.
*The Authority may accept an equivalent combination of education and experience to meet the requirements* Interested candidates should submit their application and resume, including salary requirements via the SCWA website (www.scwa.com) and click on “Career Opportunities”.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience but would be within the $70-80K range. Suffolk County residency is preferred. COVID-19 Vaccine is required. (The Authority shall not employ relatives of employees as defined to mean an employee's spouse, child, stepchild, stepparent, or direct descendant of grandparents of the employee as defined in the New York State General Municipal Law 810.)