The Suffolk County Water Authority is seeking an Assistant Engineer for the Construction Maintenance Department located in Oakdale, NY. The successful candidate will provide engineering, administrative and field support for the everyday operations of the Construction Maintenance Department which is involved with the maintenance, improvement, and expansion of the water main distribution infrastructure.
- Provides engineering and technical support to staff in analyzing distribution system performance during construction/installation of water main.
- Assist with the preparation and design of replacement for capital improvement projects.
- Research various areas for potential water main improvements.
- Oversee and inspect the installation of water main by contractors while providing and maintaining construction standards.
- Create field sketch measurements for proposed water main installations, develop as-builts and valve sketches of installed water mains.
- Assists in maintenance and calibration for the hydraulic model to reflect changes in the distribution system.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, or related field.
- 2-3 years of working knowledge of water supply engineering and construction experience preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and understand contract documents.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong organizational skills, proficient in MS Office.
- Experience with AutoCAD, GIS Systems and Hydraulic Modeling Software.
- Ability to interface with contractors and work outdoors.
- E.I.T. certification and pursuing PE licensing preferred.
- Candidate must possess a valid NY State driver’s license.
*The Authority may accept an equivalent combination of education and experience to meet requirements. *
Hours for the position will be Monday to Friday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. Interested candidates should submit their application and resume via the SCWA website (www.scwa.com) and click on “Career Opportunities”. Annual salary commensurate with education and experience. Suffolk County residency preferred. COVID-19 Vaccination is required.
(The Authority shall not employ relatives of employees as defined to mean
an employee's spouse, child, stepchild, stepparent, or direct descendant of grandparents of the employee
as defined in the New York State General Municipal Law 810.)