The Suffolk County Water Authority is seeking an Assistant Pipeline Engineer for the Construction Maintenance Department located in Oakdale, NY. The successful candidate will be accountable for the planning, line ups, oversight, and inspection of the installation of water main by contractors.
- Oversee and inspect the installation of water main by contractors.
- Provide instructions and direction to contractors including modifying drawings, issuing materials, and painting field mark-outs of proposed water main installations.
- Create field sketch measurements for proposed water main installations.
- Develop as-builts and valve sketches of installed water mains.
- Professionally resolve construction conflicts with contractors; respond to and resolve issues and questions from customers and the community.
- Research various areas for potential water main improvements.
- Facilitate obtaining various easements and/or permits for the installation of water main on private property.
- Perform other engineering tasks associated with construction/installation of water main.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or related field.
- 2-3 years of working knowledge of construction industry; underground construction/engineering water supply experience preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and understand contract documents.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong organizational skills, proficient in MS Office
- Experience with AutoCAD, GIS or equivalent software preferred.
- Ability to interface with contractors and work outdoors.
- Candidate must possess a valid NY State driver’s license.
*The Authority may accept an equivalent combination of education and experience to meet requirements.*
Hours for the position will be Monday to Friday from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Interested candidates should submit their application and resume via the SCWA website (www.scwa.com) and click on “Career Opportunities”. Annual salary commensurate with education and experience. Suffolk County residency preferred. COVID-19 Vaccination is required.
(The Authority shall not employ relatives of employees as defined to mean an employee's spouse, child, stepchild, stepparent, or direct descendant of grandparents of the employee as defined in the New York State General Municipal Law 810.)