The Suffolk County Water Authority is seeking a Lead Systems Architect for our Information Technology Department located in Oakdale, NY. The successful applicant will be responsible for designing and implementing short and long-term strategic goals for managing and maintaining systems and software. This position will work with the IT Director to ensure company-wide goals are met.
- Providing subject matter expertise and technology solutions for long term planning of systems architecture.
- Researching and recommending new technologies; create and present proposals for new policies, procedures, practices, and standards.
- Providing oversight to existing system team by reviewing past practices and making recommendations for new technologies/applications.
- Leading projects in building, maintaining and patching servers and systems applications on Linux and Windows and identifying security vulnerabilities.
- Creating detailed and documented programs/processes and technical designs to meet long-term company objectives such as DR/failover and production infrastructure.
- Developing and maintaining plans and timetables for the development, testing, and implementation of applications.
- Providing support for applications, systems and services including application and file servers, Active Directory, Group Policy, Exchange, DNS/DHCP, etc.
- Performing Availability/Capacity/Performance planning in conjunction with system design activities ensuring reliability and scalability.
- Assisting in supporting server infrastructure including hypervisors, storage arrays, backup clients/targets, and other infrastructure required to support services.
- Performing personnel management responsibilities associated with technical team lead and project management responsibilities. These responsibilities may include task management, regular performance assessment, and participation in annual performance appraisals of team members.
- Working with various departments and executive staff members to troubleshoot issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Information Technology or related field required; Master’s or advanced degree preferred.
- Experience managing and supporting Windows Server operating systems in a virtualized environment including developing system and configuration baselines, maintaining secure patch levels, and working with other team members to diagnose server related issues.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to lead significant technology projects that advance the state of infrastructure within the organization.
- Experience working with programs such as: Unix/Linux, VMware, Window’s server, and Office 365.
- Minimum 7 years experience working with company’s system administration.
- Minimum 5 years of managerial experience in an IT environment.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and vendors.
- Ability to work flexible hours and provide off-hours support as needed. Typical work week will be 8:30am – 5:00pm M-F.
*The Authority may accept an equivalent combination of education and experience to meet the requirements*
Interested candidates should submit their application and resume, including salary requirements via the SCWA website (www.scwa.com) and click on “Career Opportunities”. Salary is commensurate with education and experience, with an expected range of $90,000-$100,000.
(The Authority shall not employ relatives of employees as defined to mean an employee's spouse, child, stepchild, stepparent or direct descendant of grandparents of the employee as defined in the New York State General Municipal Law 810.)