The Suffolk County Water Authority is seeking to hire an Assistant Automation and Controls Engineer to work in its Engineering Department in Great River, NY.
- Participate in engineering design, review, information gathering, inspection, and commissioning or start-up of projects that include electrical, instrumentation and process control equipment or systems related to water treatment and distribution.
- Assist in the design of software and hardware interfaces between a variety of different programmable logic controller (PLC) based control systems and other hardware using serial and/or ethernet communication. PLC systems are typically GE and Rockwell.
- Assist in the redesign and improvement of the Authority’s existing SCADA communication network that utilizes serial spread spectrum radio technology.
- Advise and assist Authority maintenance personnel on installation, operation, or evaluation of automation & process control systems.
- Evaluate and select new Instrumentation & Controls (I&C) equipment used by the Authority for water treatment such as flow, pressure, chlorine, and pH monitoring.
- Prepare bid documents, specifications and drawings associated with communication and instrumentation/controls installations at all Authority production and treatment facilities.
- Produce I&C and electrical drawings using Auto-CAD for installation of work by in-house electricians or electrical contractors.
- Interface with and monitor the performance of outside vendors, consultants and contractors involved with controls-related projects.
- BS degree from an accredited college/university in Electrical Engineering/Technology.
- 3-7 years’ experience in instrumentation, controls, and/or communications engineering
- Knowledge of industrial process control, instrumentation, programmable controller hardware and software, digital and analog communication networks, AC and DC electrical theory. Water treatment experience a plus.
- Knowledge of data communications systems, protocols, wired and wireless network systems, and radio telemetry.
- Proficient in AutoCAD and MS Office with strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with others in a positive and productive manner.
Interested candidates should submit their application and resume via the SCWA website (www.scwa.com) and click on “Career Opportunities”. Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience. Suffolk County residency preferred. COVID-19 Vaccination is required.
SCWA has implemented a new policy regarding COVID-19. We require all Prospective employees to be fully vaccinated which means 14 days after the second dose of a two series vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech/ Moderna) or a single shot series (J&J). We will delay your first day of employment by thirty-five (35) days from the date of an offer of employment to comply with this policy. Proof of vaccination must be submitted on or before your first day.
(The Authority shall not employ relatives of employees as defined to mean an employee's spouse, child, stepchild, stepparent, or direct descendant of grandparents of the employee as defined in the New York State General Municipal Law 810.)