The Suffolk County Water Authority is seeking a Utility Person for the Construction Maintenance Department. Work shifts of M-F 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., M-F 11:30-8:00 p.m., T-Sat. 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m., or T-Sat 11:30 a.m.-8:00 p.m. Locations in Oakdale, Huntington, Coram, Westhampton, East Hampton.
- Digging and backfilling holes and trenches.
- Physical operation of waterworks appurtenances such as gate valves and fire hydrants.
- Use of jackhammers for breaking and tamping surfaces.
- Lifting and carrying 60-pound bags of cold patch and 110-pound jackhammers.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must possess a valid NY State driver’s license.
- CDL B permit required.
- Ability to obtain asbestos piping certification.
- Ability to pass a pulmonary function test in order to use a respirator.
- Ability to pass basic construction knowledge exam.
- Prior construction experience preferred.
- Suffolk County residency is preferred.
- COVID-19 Vaccination is required.
- Pre-employment physical including a DOT drug screen.
- This position is subject to random drug and alcohol testing as required by the Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act of 1991.
*The Authority may accept an equivalent combination of education and experience to meet requirements*
Interested candidates should submit their application and resume via the SCWA website (www.scwa.com) and click on “Career Opportunities”. Annual salary for this position is $70,000.
(The Authority shall not employ relatives of employees as defined to mean an employee's spouse, child, stepchild, stepparent, or direct descendant of grandparents of the employee as defined in the New York State General Municipal Law 810.)