The Director of Communications will be responsible for oversight of all external and internal communications to include written communications to employees and stakeholders as well liaison with local media outlets to disseminate noteworthy Authority accomplishments and programs. The individual will create strategies to increase awareness of the Authority to the 1.2 million Suffolk County residents we serve and drive community engagement, while maintaining a positive public image.
Essential (Primary) Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead all branding, public relations, social media, and communication efforts for the Authority.
- Develop, implement, and evaluates SCWA communication plan to support Authority goals and priorities.
- Works with the Senior leadership team (SLT) to recognize internal and external communication opportunities and executes appropriate strategies to support them.
- Oversee the creation of promotional and informative materials the Authority will send to the public as well as our employees.
- Ensure all company materials have consistent and positive messaging and branding, following all SCWA protocols.
- Manages development, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic materials including, but not limited to, newsletters, reports, media articles and the SCWA website.
- Initial point of contact for all media requests and ensures that requests are responded to promptly and professionally.
- Provide direct supervision and coaching to the Records retention officer and the Community outreach coordinator.
- Develops, implements, and adheres to the communications budget.
- Complete all other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 5 years’ experience in public or private communications required, 8 years in writing and editing, writing in corporate communications, public relations, or journalism preferred (Communication experience in government or utility industry a plus)
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Broad and deep knowledge of media relations, content development, internal communications, and public relations, executive speechwriting, communications, and messaging.
- Familiarity with review and approval process for internal and external communications.
- Capable writer; exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams, interacting with department leaders and executives.
- Experience with multi-channel internal communications
The Authority may accept an equivalent combination of education and experience to meet the requirements. Interested candidates should submit their application and resume including salary requirements via the SCWA website(www.scwa.com) and click on “Career Opportunities.” Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
(The Authority shall not employ relatives of employees as defined to mean an employee's spouse, child, stepchild, stepparent or direct descendant of grandparents of the employee as defined in the New York State General Municipal Law 810.)