The Suffolk County Water Authority is seeking to hire a Superintendent of Operations to assist the Director in the complete management of the Operations section of the Production Control Department. The qualified candidate will manage all Assistant Superintendents, Field Supervisors, and the Water Quality Supervisor. This individual is responsible for ensuring that SCWA water supply assets in Production Control are operated in an efficient and safe manner while complying with all regulatory standards and SCWA guidelines.
• Coordinate with PC Superintendent of Trades and supervisors, Engineering and Construction Maintenance to plan and implement pump station maintenance and construction projects.
• Identify maintenance needs, make recommendations for repairs or potential capital improvements.
• Inspect SCWA water supply and treatment assets to ensure proper operation and maintenance.
• Troubleshoot problems in the distribution system related to pump operation or chemical treatment etc.
• Ensure adequate staffing to meet daily workload while simultaneously optimizing operations to manage costs.
• Interface with local regulatory agencies to ensure compliance of SCWA facilities.
• Thoroughly investigate customer complaints in a precise manner.
• Ability to respond to emergencies 24/7.
• B.S. degree from an accredited college/university in Engineering or related field preferred.
• 10 years’ experience required in the operation of a water supply system required.
• 2 years’ supervisory experience required; 5 years’ preferred.
• NYS Water Treatment Plant Operator Grade 2B license required – 1B preferred.
• Must possess or have the ability to possess a NYS Class B CDL with Haz-Mat Endorsement.
• Must possess a solid knowledge base of water supply operations and maintenance and an understanding of water supply hydraulics.
• Ability to forecast work priorities, as well as respond to rapidly changing priorities based upon needs of the water system and the needs of SCWA.
• Must possess strong oral and written communication skills.
*The Authority may accept an equivalent combination of education and experience to meet the requirements*
Interested candidates should submit their application and resume, including salary requirements via the SCWA website (www.scwa.com) and click on “Career Opportunities”. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
(The Authority shall not employ relatives of employees as defined to mean an employee's spouse, child, stepchild, stepparent or direct descendant of grandparents of the employee as defined in the New York State General Municipal Law 810.)