The Suffolk County Water Authority is seeking on behalf of the Central Pine Barrens Joint Planning and Policy Commission an individual with experience/qualifications/course work in fire suppression and fire management, heavy equipment operation or a related field, to serve as a seasonal Squad Boss (first line supervisory wildland firefighter) for Prescribed Fire Operations conducted under the Commission’s comprehensive prescribed fire program for the Central Pine Barrens region and will be based in the Central Pine Barrens Commission office located in Westhampton Beach. This individual will report directly to the Fire Management Specialist. (This seasonal position extends from March through May, up to 37.5 hours/week).
- Performing fireline duties on prescribed fire operations including but not limited to using hand tools to construct fireline; ignite; patrol; mop-up and as necessary suppress wildland fires.
- Carrying and using heavy equipment and supplies for extended hours in rugged terrain with exposure to excessive heat; direct and indirect flame; smoke; insects (especially ticks); and other irritants and hazards while performing fireline duties.
- Supervising; communicating with; and/or directing the work of other prescribed fire crew members including crew safety, work assignments and other activities.
- Staging, inventorying, maintaining, and operating mechanical fireline equipment such as pumps and other water delivery equipment, fire engines, UTVs, ATVs, dozers, excavators or other heavy equipment.
- Assisting with fire weather, fire behavior, vegetation and invasive species monitoring and management in prescribed fire units including the installation and maintenance of fire breaks.
- Assisting with development of education and outreach programming including conducting wildfire risk assessments.
- High school diploma (with experience in landscaping, agriculture, mechanics, heavy equipment use, forestry, arboriculture or other similar trade/interest) or associate, undergraduate, graduate student, recent graduate degree in Biology, Ecology, Forestry, Natural Science, or related field.
- Meets or exceeds Interagency Standards for Firefighting Operations as a Firefighter Type 1 (Squad Boss).
- Minimum experience of 30 days on Prescribed Fire or Wildland Fire serving in a FFT1 leadership position.
- Formal supervisory training and demonstrated leadership/supervisory experience.
- Ability to pass the moderate level work capacity test (carrying of 25lbs/2 miles in 30 minutes) or arduous level work capacity test (carrying of 45lbs/3 miles in 45 minutes; preferred).
- Experienced and qualified in the operation of UTVs with successful completion of UTV Operating Training Course (preferred) and operation of chainsaws with completion of training course (S212 preferred).
- Experience in fire engine operations including installing, using and breaking down fireline hose lays.
- Familiar with conducting prescribed fire related data recording/monitoring or similar natural resources data collection.
- Field experience with general data collection, orienteering and GPS.
- Familiarity with MS Office, Google Earth, ArcGIS/ArcOnline or GIS and AVENZA maps, (preferred).
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
*The Authority may accept an equivalent combination of education and experience to meet the requirements*
Interested candidates should submit their application, resume, and transcripts, including salary requirements via the SCWA website
(www.scwa.com) and click on “Career Opportunities.” Salary is $21.00 - $23.00/hour with no benefits.
Housing may be available for candidates outside of Long Island. COVID-19 Vaccination is required.
(The Authority shall not employ relatives of employees as defined to mean an employee's spouse, child, stepchild, stepparent or direct descendant of grandparents of the employee as defined in the New York State General Municipal Law 810.)